Information for Candidates
The primary aim of The European Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery (EBCTS) is to encourage common high standards and qualifications in cardiothoracic surgery in all European countries and beyond. This should potentially allow for the mutual recognition of these qualifications between European countries and elsewhere.
The standards are set to award certificates of the Board to surgeons who have attained levels of knowledge and proficiency that can be recognised as appropriate for early and established independent specialist practice in the generality of Cardiothoracic Surgery and sub-specialist areas.
The Board has an experienced Question Writing Panel for the Level One MCQ examination
Candidates applications will be reviewed to ensure that they are eligible to take the examination. Candidates should read the Regulations of the European Board carefully before applying to ensure that they are eligible to take the examination.
The Board intend to set up examinations at least once a year. All applications and required documents will have to be submitted online before 31 May of the year of the examination. Please note that templates for part of the application are not available until the examination fee has been paid in full.
The documents required are:
- A completed EBCTS online application form
- A copy of passport
- A recent photograph
- A copy of national medical diploma.
- A copy of licence to practice medicine
- A copy of ‘national specialist diploma’ or CCST (Completion of Specialist Training) and/or official Specialty recognition registration number issued by the appropriate official body of that Country.
- Two completed Structured Reference Form’s (one must be from the Head of Department or Head of Training) (template provided during application)
- A detailed logbook of procedures performed and assisted (template provided during application)
Note: all documents which are not in English must be accompanied by an official signed and stamped translation.
- The fee for the Level one examination will be €500 of which €250 is for assessment of the file.
- The file will not be processed until payment of €500 is received in full.
- If the candidate is found not to meet the eligibility criteria, €250 will be refunded.
- Should a candidate be unable to sit the examination on the appointed date, he will be offered one alternative date and the fee will be held.
- If the candidate does not take the examination and does not inform the EBCTS Secretariat one month in advance, no fee will be refunded.
- The candidate who attends the examination and is not successful will be offered a further three opportunities to re-take the examination. A fee of €250 will apply to each re-sit.
The Level One examination is a Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) examination consisting of a 4 hour, 180 question paper. This examination will be quality assured using standard set questions and passmark.
The examination paper will be marked and results issued within 1 month of the examination date.
Confirmation of the examination results will come by e-mail from the EBCTS office. A diploma will be sent by post.